May 13, 2012
Here’s to you.
Here’s to Us.
To the lives and households we run;
To the families we are raising – teaching – guiding…
…the same families who drive us insane!
1. FOOD – We think about what everyone will eat – all. the. time.
- What needs to be done: *Write shopping list, *Do shopping, *Put away shopping, *Cook, *Bear 2.7 questions an hour from children about what they can eat, *Organise food for meals and snacks whenever outside the home…etc.
2. APPEARANCES – We worry about the state of our family’s clothing and general grooming issues.
- What needs to be done: * Remind children to put dirty clothes IN the basket *Soak clothes, *Wash clothes, *Hang clothes, *Bring in clothes off the line, *Iron clothes, *Take clothes to corresponding rooms, *Go shopping for clothes, *Shower/Bath routines, *Hair Brushing, *Finger and Toe nail appearances…etc.
3. CHILDREN – 24/7.
- What needs to be done: *Remember…EVERYTHING, *Continually Repeat All Instructions/Statements…over and over again, *School Matters – Sign notes + know what days Library Day/Sports’ Uniform Day fall on, *Coordinate dropping off and picking up from Day Care/School, *Organise Holiday activities and playdates *Doctors’ appointments, *Sickness…etc. etc. etc.
4. BED-TIME ROUTINE – Yes, it’s a dot point on its own!
- What needs to be done: *Remind children of their expected routine – with 5 minute reminders, *Be prepared to be asked to listen to something REALLY important, at this time; every night – it goes something like this, “Muuuum?” “What.” “Can I tell you something?” “Go to bed.” “Pleeaaasse?” “What.” “Uuuuummm….”, *Have about an average of three things each child has ‘forgotten’ to do, that comes to mind at this time of the night…etc. ._.
5. LOVE LIFE – We worry about our relationships with our partners.
- What needs to be done: *Well, every relationship is different – you know what you do.
6. WORK – A juggling and balancing act.
- What needs to be done: *Aaah…Juggle and Balance – whether full-time, part-time, job-sharing, casual, shift-work – it’s another complicated job.
7. TIME FOR YOU – Few and far between.
- What needs to be done: *Find time! Really. Get out and have time away from it all – even for a little while…I’ll babysit for you!
8. ETC. ETC. ETC. – Everything Else.
For all these areas, there is help – some mothers get more; some less – but everything is ALWAYS a part of a mum’s thoughts.
And the quality that weaves through all of us is:
I think what we do as mothers is simply gob-smacking.
It’s the toughest gig there is – but when those windows of sun and wonderfulness bathe us…well, we understand the why; enough to keep going onwards.
I only hear stories of what’s ahead and it sounds like this ride never eases up – bring it, I say!
I salute you all.
Mothers of all ages.
All my Love.
This post is dedicated to my mum. Un beso grande, Mamá.